Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Gavin Harrison & Simon Phillips

Two of my favorite drummers got together to perform a live, extended drum solo in Los Angeles in early 2011 as part of a drumming competition put on by Guitar Center.  Here at last on YouTube is the performance.  I was first introduced to Simon Phillips at a Jeff Beck concert in 1980.  Phillips's performance of Led Boots made my jaw drop.  He was the most amazing drummer I had ever seen live.  He has continued to amaze me over the years, and has played with a number of great musicians.  Gavin Harrison was a more recent discovery of mine.  I became aware of him through his amazing work with Porcupine Tree in 2005.  These days, he is a personal favorite.  These are not just play as fast as you can solos, they are intricate, rhythmically complex pieces.  Enjoy!







No comments: